Wednesday, June 7, 2017

Grandma Ada, Love Douglas

I’d like to share with you my thoughts and feelings this day as we say goodbye to our beloved grandma. Ada Young was the kindest woman I’ve ever met. She had a unique way to make strangers feel welcome, and never judged anyone.

Her personality was magnetic. Her laughter was contagious. Her heart and compassion knew no limits. Though short in stature, she walked tall and proud. She was selfless.

One of the earliest memories I have of grandma's selflessness was from when I was small. We had a tire swing in our back yard and Evan and I wanted to play. There was a bee’s nest in the tire so Evan and I were afraid. Without hesitation, grandma took only a single paper towel and grabbed the bees hive out of the tire, just so Evan and I could play.

I could tell she was being stung repeatedly, but the joy of watching her grandchildren play was more important to her. I will never forget that day.

I am so blessed to have had you in my life. From nature walks to magic carpet rides. From rummie cub to scrabble games. To baking rugulach and telling jokes. Grandma, you showed me how to appreciate the little things in life. You instilled in me Jewish values and traditions, and above all else, the importance of family and celebrating life.

Bubbie. Even though you are no longer with us in body, your spirit will always be with us. I love you and will miss you always.

No comments: